Monday, 19 November 2012

i'm a party and party and p-p-party..

DSC08855
^sparkly collar detail!
DSC08863
dress: matalan*
DSC08875
clutch: accessories direct*
DSC08866
heels: primark
I've mentioned in the past that I'm not the greatest fan of Christmas. Parties in the festive season leading up to the aforementioned dreaded C-word, however? Count me in!

I must admit that my party wardrobe has been looking a little sparse lately - sparkly dresses are all well and good, but haven't quite made it to the top of the shopping list since losing a few dress sizes. So when those friendly folks at Matalan contacted me asking if I could style up one of the party dresses from their new collection, obviously I jumped at the chance.

The first thing you may notice about the dress I went for? It's black, which isn't a colour I often go for. But I thought this would be a good opportunity to push some boundaries. Well, that and the fact that the magpie in me couldn't resist that embellished peter pan collar...I'd been a little worried about the length to begin with, fearing it would be too short, but I think the fact that it's long-sleeved draws attention away from that a little? I'd be comfortable enough with the length to leave the house like this, which given my confidence levels lately is saying something!

In terms of actually "styling it up", I didn't have to do a lot. The collar draws enough attention to itself, without the need for any extra jewels, so I threw on some sparkly shoes suitable for dancing all night and grabbed a black clutch bag (plenty big enough to hold all of the essentials) in an attempt at the matchy-matchy.

This is the sort of thing I'd wear to the office Xmas do. For a night out with the girls, I'm wondering about adding some colourful shoes and a contrasting bag instead - what do you think? How would you style this dress?

17 comments:

  1. love the dress you went for. Super sparkly! You look gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the collar ! Great dress I'm like you not a big fan of Xmas either xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow that dress is so gorgeous!!!!I love the long sleeves, this makes me want to pop to Matalan!

    Robyn Mayday
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. The sparkly collar really makes the piece special.

    Laura xo
    Whatlauradid.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! You look amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress, this is just the right percentage of sparkle for me. I'm not generally a fan of the over the top sequins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress :) And the shoes too! I love sparkly collars, it just the right amount of glitteryness without looking over the top!

    Karys x
    whoisgrumblebeard.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look stunning in this! I LOVE Christmas as it's a big thing in our family, although the run-up is always more exciting than the actual day I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh so lovely, this really suits you. i like your hair like this too it really suits you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well very nice you look too!
    I adore Christmas, why don't you like it exactly?x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Char you've gone all diva and I LOVE IT. You look incredible! The shoes and dress are pretty much my dream outfit.
    Gah!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous dress, the collar is so pretty! I'd keep it low key and wear black or nude shoes but big hair and make up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look lovely, I am so jealous of your long legs!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo I love your shoes!

    Lea x

    It's Such A Wonderful Life -
    http://shebeginstosee.blogspot.com

    Why not check out my Christmas Yankee Candle giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This outfit manages to be SO cute yet glamourous :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look frigging amazing Char! and I adore those shoes!!! xx

    ReplyDelete